DURHAM’S ANNUAL MEN’S WALK AGAINST DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
THE MEN IN DURHAM REGION WILL NOT TOLERATE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN THEIR COMMUNITY AND THEY’RE WILLING TO WALK A MILE IN HER SHOES® TO PROVE IT.
History of Walk a Mile in Her Shoes
Frank Baird first proposed Walk a Mile in Her Shoes®: The International Men’s March to Stop Rape, Sexual Assault and Gender Violence in 2001. That 1st walk started out small and has grown each year since. In 2007, Frank formed Venture Humanity, Inc, a nonprofit 501 (c) (3) corporation. Venture Humanity, Inc. develops peace, violence prevention and community projects. Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® is a Venture Humanity, Inc. project.
Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® Mission:
“Co-creating a United Gender Movement, men will be a part of the solution to ending sexualized violence.”
Frank licenses one walk per Region. These licenses are at no cost and the intent is to simply to enable Venture Humanity to be a centralized storehouse of information of the walks as they are held around the world. For more information, go to http://walkamileinhershoes.org
Beautiful, historic downtown Bowmanville during SummerFest – Registration and the starting line will be at 98 King Street West – the parking lot across from the Village Inn – ending at Division Street.
During the annual SummerFest, Saturday June 17, 2017
Sign-In: 9:30-10:30am, Walk starts at 11am
- To increase community awareness regarding domestic violence in Durham Region
- To raise funds to support the costs of services provided by Bethesda House
- And most of all, to celebrate the “Good Guys” in Durham Region!
The majority of males are good guys who would never dream of abusing their partners however the minority who don’t “get it”, get all the attention. Bethesda House is giving the “good guys” in Durham Region a chance to speak up and take a stand! This is a chance to celebrate these fathers, brothers, sons and partners!
HOW YOU CAN PARTICIPATE
- FIRST: Register with Bethesda House via email (email@example.com) or phone (905-623-6045, Ext 206)
- NEXT: Borrow a pair of high heeled shoes or make arrangements to rent a pair from Bethesda House ($10).
- If you can’t walk in heels – no worry, just carry them!
- THEN: Collect your sponsorship funds and show up the day of the event and be prepared to have fun!
- Encourage Guys To Walk!
- Lend Them Your Shoes!
- Help Them Pull Together A Team!
- Help Them Walk The Course!
- Cheer Them Along From The Sidelines!
- Sponsor Them!
- Donate Large Size Women’s Shoes
- Volunteer To Help The Day Of The Walk
- Promote The Event & Encourage Men To Walk
- Pull Together A Team Of Walkers
- & Put Out A Team Challenge
- Sponsor A Walker