THE OBJECTIVE OF THE TRANSITIONAL SUPPORT & HOUSING PROGRAM.
The objective of this service is to provide women with support in all areas necessary to make the transition from an abusive relationship to a safer living situation.
DESCRIPTION OF THE TRANSITIONAL SUPPORT & HOUSING PROGRAM
Although Bethesda House provides women with help to obtain and maintain housing, we do not actually provide housing (other than the shelter) and we do not have direct or special access to affordable housing. What we are able to do is help women understand and navigate through Durham Region’s Housing system, help complete the forms required to access subsidized housing and support the women through the process. The Transitional Support & Housing Worker (TSHW) is also able to assist women investigate market-value housing options.
The TSHW provides other services, including
- help developing a Transition/Safety plan,
- help identifying financial options,
- assistance connecting with legal support,
- assistance obtaining proper identification, and
- accompaniment and support for appointments with the police, CAS, doctors, etc. as chosen by the woman